Sign In

Login to our social questions & Answers Engine to ask questions answer people’s questions & connect with other people.

Forgot Password

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email.

You must login to ask question.

Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported.

Please briefly explain why you feel this answer should be reported.

Free Search Engine Submission

IQ FAQ HUB Latest Articles

Why is the earth called the blue planet?

Why earth is called blue planet?
Blue planet earth.

Why earth is called blue planet As soon as white light strikes the earth’s surface, it is absorbed by the earth’s water reservoirs, which absorbs all other wavelengths of light except blue, with only blue light being reflected back to space from the earth.

The planet earth surface is covered by almost 70% of water and the rest 30 per cent constitute solid surfaces like continents, islands, mountains.

Hence when we see the earth from space it looks like a blue planet because the visible light radiation coming from the son contains VIBGYOR means violet, indigo, blue, green, orange and red, they together form white light.

But when white light falls on the earth surface its water reservoir absorbs the other wavelengths of light except blue and only blue light reflected back to space, that’s why we see the earth as the blue planet.

(more…)